INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I am a landlord, I have used an agent for a year to rent the

Hello, I am a landlord, I have used an agent for a year to rent the flat, the contract comes to an end on June 11th. I have decided to leave the agent and manage the flat myself. The tenants wish for a periodic tenancy to run month to month due to two of them being furloghed. That is ok with me. I have also lowered the rent for them. What sort of periodic contract do I need to make to cover myself? The terms of the old contract with my agent are now different so I dont think that the AST will just carry on and I presume I have to create a new Periodic Tenancy agreement? Thanks
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have protected the deposit and sent the deposit information to the tenants
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Fulham, London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks

Thank you for your query. You will need to have your tenants enter into a new Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. Any periodic tenancy would be on the same terms as the previous tenancy save for it would run on a rolling monthly basis.

If the terns are different, I would suggest you have the tenants sign a new Assured Shorthold tenancy Agreement. You will be able to obtain one from: www.rocketlawyer.co.uk

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, many thanks for this. I thought a AST agreement was only for a long tenancy 6 months or more?

An AST is for a period of 3 month or more. Your alternative is a Licence Agreement.

Many thanks,