Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

My ex landlord is chasing me for rent he claims I owe him. I

My ex landlord is chasing me for rent he claims I owe him. I feel I do not owe him rent as he verbally told me he wanted to leave the property rather than putting anything in writing. He says if I do not pay £316 in 28 days he will take me to court for it?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I have moved out the property in December 2019 and he has the property up for sale/ possibly sold. He feels the property was left in disrepair but we have been through DPS to sort this out.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: He did not abide by the lease I was first given by my estate agent and after a year he dropped the agent to manage the property himself. He wrote a new contract up which I refused to sign because he had taken legal rights out that he as a landlord had responsibilities for. He now claims I did not give him notice I was moving out or arranged to return the keys when I did and is referring to the original contract as if he never told me to leave?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: this landlord refused to spend money on the repairs to the house I.e. plaster falling off external walls, damp etc and only became angry and aggressive in his manner because I did not want to buy the property I was renting from him. I loved the house and did not want to leave but could not cope with the landlords behaviour.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I clarify did the landlord originally say you could move out with no money outstanding?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, he was at the house to cut the hedge and stayed over 5 hours to do it. He had hung around knowing I had asked he didn’t come as my son had German measles at the time and had been very unwell. He insisted he came as the weather was to be good that weekend- after 5 hours of hanging around and wandering around the back garden of the property he started to say the garden wasn’t the way he wanted it (it had been fine the last 3 years of inspections) but he started to get irritated and said if I couldn’t look after the property the way he wanted it I should look for some where else etc etc. He did not discuss money at that time and I think he thought I may not act upon his threats. I told him I would move and he was being unreasonable. He was offered money by myself from the held bond to replace and clean the carpets (I was not doing this prior to moving due to his behaviour) He asked for more money saying the house was disgraceful - it was not and I have pictures to show this but the ombudsman awarded him what I had offered and a little more £40 to tidy the garden. He now is still not happy so is wanting the rent he feels he is due to me moving out as he claimed I gave him no notice? I gave no notice because he told me to move.
Hi, thank you for your message. He cannot claim such money just because he feels like it. If you moved in accordance with a contract then you will not owe money. If he asked you to move and there was no contract indicating you need to pay the sum or it was not agreed then you will not owe him money. You will need to wait to see if he makes a claim against you and if he does then you will be able to defend your case. As for now I would advise that you write him a letter setting out why you do not owe him the money and what was said/agreed between you when he asked you to move out. Attach any evidence you may have if you have such evidence. I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today

Hi, I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.