How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2810
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

Morning. We are tenants. How can we protect our rights? Not

This answer was rated:

Morning. We are tenants. How can we protect our rights?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not yet. We just moved to new place and landlord is denied to do things she supposed to do.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Cm22
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Could you please specify which rights are being denied by the Landlord?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We moved a week ago. We are renting 2 b house with garden and a shed. The shed is full of her friend's staff. She promised to emptied. Now She doesn't want to do it . We have to keep our bijes and other professional equipment outside under the rain.
In the garden is lots of her rubbish like carpets cuts and bro***** *****en staff. She promised to removed. Now she doesn't want to do it. Because of that we cant use our garden properly.
The fence In the garden fall down. We dont have any privacy. She said she will repaired. Now she doesn't want to do it.
And she is keeping to say: " If you don't like something- that's it! Get out! It's my shed! And it's my cottage!"
It's only a week we moved here...

Could you please confirm what type of tenancy is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. Are the garden and shed part of the rented premises?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ssys contents the furniture, fixtures, and other items left with the property set out on the attached list.
We also have email where she said that she will empty the shed.

Thank you for your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The garden is the part of cottage. And a shed is part of garden. We are renting all cottage with gardens and sheds.

If the garden shed and garden is part of the rented premises, and they have not been emptied as promised by the Landlord, thus you are unable to make full use the whole premises, you can ask for a rent reduction

Write to the Landlord, asking for the rent reduction due to the reasons given above, till the problem get resolved

Keep records of any emails, letters or messages and get any change agreed in writing.

If the Landlord does not agree to any rent reduction, you can initiate a claim for compensation against the Landlord

You can get compensation for the inconvenience of not having the full use of the rented premises.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we asked. She said "No! It's my shed! And it's my cottage!"
She behaves like we dont have any rights.

You can initiate a claim for compensation in a small claims court. Before that write to the Landlord for rent reduction till the garden and shed , both are sorted, notifying that if the Landlord fails to act , you would have to initiate compensation claim

Write to the Landlord for rent reduction and keep record for all such correspondence. you would need that in the compensation claim.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.


If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today so that I could get credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.
How can I let you know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can we get your help for writing that letter?

Even after rating the answer, you can ask any follow-up questions, I would be more than happy to assist you further.

Regarding the letter, you can use the content from this answer, that you have not been able to make the full use of the premises, thus wants reduction in rent.

Please don`t forget to rate the answer before you leave JA today, so that I could get credited for my time

Thank you.

Vineet S and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I safe this conversation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it stay in my history somwhere on this website?

, you can access it anytime by login into your account, the answer gets saved in your history