How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1053
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

Thank you! I was just wondering what to do with regards to

This answer was rated:

Thank you! I was just wondering what to do with regards ***** ***** property management company. They have not provided the service that we have paid for, they have (more than) doubled the property management charge and they have sent an invoice with what appears to be made up numbers
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The members of the flat are applying for right to manage right now, but they have sent a few of us letters threatening to take legal action if we don't pay this fabricated service charge
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: South wimbledon in London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They have split my invoice into 3 parts - the first part says I owe money from before I even bought the property, the second part is for when I occupied it (but I paid in advance which they already know) and the third is for ground rent which I don't have to pay per my contract
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, is anyone able to help me on this? Thanks

Hi there,

The management company cannot just do this as they please. If they wish to increase charges as such, they must refer to this in the annual general meeting with the residents and here, they must provide the residents with a chance to dispute the new proposed arrangement. In addition to this, they must show that they have valued the new amount correctly and also show proof of this (by way of a survey or valuation report).

Re the service charge accounts, I would request a copy of the last 3 years accounts (at the minimum) to view what you have been paying and to also review what for. I would threaten them with the following courses of action;

Leasehold tribunal (a threat is normally enough to make these companies back off) -

Breach of the Service Charge residential management code 3rd Edition -

I hope this helps and please do leave positive feedback. If you have any further questions, please do let me know.

Kind regards,

SS Legal Advisor and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, that is really helpful. I will provide good feedback.Kind regards,Katie

No problem Katie, always happy to help.

Please let me know if I can assist with anything else.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I just ask if we do end up taking it to tribunal (all of the flats who are disputing this service charge) do you have any idea on costs?Do you know if there's anyway to report the management company as they have often left the flat in a dangerous condition and although we are taking over right to manage soon hopefully, I would feel better knowing they wouldn't be able to mess other people around in the future too.Thanks,Katie

Hi there,

Costs can generally accrue but from my knowledge, it isn't cheap! You can raise a formal complaint with the property redress scheme and also the property ombudsmen - further information can be found here

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!

No problem :)