How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 14255
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I am a student and i am stuck in a contract that i signed

This answer was rated:

i am a student and i am stuck in a contract that i signed way before the COVID-19 about a room i wanted to rent. I wanted to terminate my contract early because i wasnt going to be a ble to move in due to my class now taking place online however the company told me that i won't be able to get out and would still be liable to pay rent unless i find someone esle to replace me for the rent pay but it s really diffucult due to a lot of student also returning to their family home what should i do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: UK
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: well my mum has a very low income and we don't think we would be able to pay the rent as it is to much
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: um that i am a full time student and i signed the contract alot earlier than the date i was suppose to move in but the circumstance has changed now due to COVID-19 so i won't be able to move in...also the bills are not included
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, this is Jim and I’m a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you today.

The company should not be charging you for a service which they cannot offer. The essential term to the contract you have with them is that you pay them - and in return they provide the accommodation.

If one of these essential terms is not able to be carried out, in this case due to an external event being the pandemic, you can refuse payment and suggest that the contract is "frustrated". The external event, being the pandemic, has made contractual terms impossible in some areas - accommodation is one area which has had a big impact. This is out of your control - no cases have been decided at court as yet as you can appreciate so we can only go off the contract laws - but you can say the contract is frustrated due to the pandemic.

Therefore, you would be within your rights to withhold payment and cancel the contract.

If they dispute this, threaten them with a report to Trading Standards (tel: 03454 040506). If they threaten anything else such as court proceedings (which would be unlikely, especially as most court cases are not now going ahead) then come back to me - I can assist with any response to the claim.

In the meantime you can use the attached template, tailor it to your situation and see if it works.

I hope this helps? If you would kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), the question will stay open and any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will DEFINETLY THANK YOU if i have any more questions i will ask right away :)

No problem, thanks and have a great day

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello again by the way this is the contract that i signed before the pandemic took a drastic turn ...can you look through it and see if they might use any of what is in them against me so sorry as a student i should have been more careful before signing it.

Thanks, it's a standard tenancy agreement and as such there is nothing about "force majeure", which allows parties to suspend their contractual obligations if there is an external such as Covid. But that is simply to suspend so it doesn't matter there is no such clause in your tenancy agreement - you are arguing frustration of contract due to the fact your course is now affected

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the late respond i am now trying to sort out this issue and if i have anymore question i will come back :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello this is hylary from yesterday about my problem with the accommodation I did send the template yesterday to the company and this was their response, I will put both my reply to them and their answer to me .Hi HylaryThank you for your email.I appreciate that this is an uncertain time and many of our tenants are moving out before the end of their tenancies to go back home. However, we cannot release them for their contracts.If you do wish to end your tenancy early, you will need to complete our Novation process and find a replacement tenant.We can help you advertise your room if you need us to, however, we do advise that you advertise your room yourself via social media and word of mouth.Please see our website for more information on the Novation process and our fees: RegardsShania Benton
Tenancy Administrator
Purple Frog Group Limited
Tel: 0121(###) ###-####***** Birmingham, B15 1THFrom: hylary cynthia <*****@******.***>
Sent: 09 June 2020 15:22
To: ***** ***** - Purple Frog <*****@******.***>; Purple Frog Bristol <*****@******.***>
Subject: RE: Temination of TenancyHi ,
My name is*****
is it possible to get the phone number of the landlord property of 158a, station road, Bristol or if is possible to pass on this message.I would like to ask them if I can terminate my contract with them as such:
Dear Sir/Madam
Re: Termination of Tenancy
I refer to the above matter and to the tenancy for 158a station road, Bristol.
As you know, the current Coronavirus pandemic means that performance of a various contracts (such as this one) is impossible. I am on a reduced income since signing the tenancy agreement due to my hours being reduced at work furthermore my guarantor (mum) has also been furloughed at her workplace and the duration of it is unknown. This is entirely outside of my control.
You will appreciate that this is not a temporary inability occupy the accommodation, as would be the case with a “force majeure” event such as the pandemic. Such clauses allow the parties to agree to suspend their obligations for the duration of the disruption.
However, there is no end in sight to the disruption and no date set when I am able to resume my employment at full capacity. I am therefore entitled to terminate given that this situation is entirely outside of my control. The contract is clearly frustrated as a result and I ask that you take a pragmatic view of the current situation which I find myself in.
You should be aware that court action should be viewed as a last resort. Indeed, the court would take a very dim view if you decided to litigate this matter especially in view of the need for the new legislation to protect tenants (the Coronavirus Act).
I ask that my holding deposit is returned and confirmation that the tenancy agreement has now been terminated with no penalty.
I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your understanding.
Yours sincerely, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are still not wanting to terminate my contract which is all I want and liberate myself and my mum from this burden ..she is a single mum and is also furloughed she is already paying for her our current house so I don't want to burden her with this too there anyway?

Hi, you will simply need to reiterate your letter to them and not pay - if you want to speak to your local council's housing department, they may be able to put pressure on the landlord