JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have a question about a dispute with a landlord letting

I have a question about a dispute with a landlord letting agency
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Carlisle
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We moved out of a flat on the 24 of March. The letting agency didn't conduct the final inspection of the flat until 26th May (2 months later), and are now saying that there are damages. They are requesting the full deposit back via a Deposit Protection Scheme and are also asking for additional money for other damages. Do we have a defence regarding the 2 months it has taken for them to conduct inspection - i.e how do we know no one has been in the flat in that time?

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Yes, considering by law the deposit needs to be returned to you within 10 days of leaving - you can ask them why there was an 8 week delay and ask for proof of the property being vacant during that time - in the meantime tell them you will have to defend a claim if they make one against you. I can help you reply to the court proceedings if they issue a small claim against you.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim