james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Following difficulty with my neighbours for a number of

following difficulty with my neighbours for a number of years. I had a wall built on my side of the property line. They made no objections. They have attached plant frames for climbers some of the plants have grown across the top of the wall. Others (clematis) have grown above the wall and attached themselves to shrubbery on our side. Can I remove there plants which have exceeded the boundary line? In addition do they have the right to attach climbing frames to the wall to support the plants on their side?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No. Am I legally obliged to do so, given that it is my property?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: I do not understand the question.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The property is in Cramlington Northumberland. I did make an attempt to cut back one of the climbers, which had grown up onto the wall and almost over, but the neighbour shouted at me to leave her plants alone.

Hello I will assist you today.

With regards ***** ***** plants, ANY plant, branch etc that grows onto or crosses onto a your property, can be legally cut or trimmed back to the point of the boundary. Anything cut or trimmed MUST then be offered back to the owner of the plant or tree. You cannot just throw it back across.

Next, as far as the wall is concerned, if the wall is 100% built on your land and in no way encroaches on their land, then they have NO legal right to interfere with your wall, either painting it, attaching items to it, or in any other way interfere with it. It they do, you can insist that they stop and make good any damage. Failure to do so would allow you to see a legal remedy against them.

james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience: Owner at James Bruce Solicitors