SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

I have a question re; council housing. I live in a council

hello I have a question re; council housing. I live in a council property. My local council can nominate me for housing to other councils. Can it hurt my nomination if I am disabled? ie; if the other council don't want to accept responsibility for a disabled person?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: nothing so far
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: hopefully I would like to be nominated for housing in cornwall or similar rural area
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have no local connection to these areas , would just make the case that a rural area would be good for my health . i do not have a diagnosis and have held off getting one in case it would harm my ability to move ty

Hi there,

No it will not hurt your nomination and also please be aware that the council cannot discriminate. Of course, each scenario is dealt with on a means led basis (financial situation) and on its own personal merit (so in this case, your disability and health will prevail).

Please also remember the council have a duty to prioritise those who are in need especially during the current pandemic. I would begin with the application as soon as possible and fingers crossed you can get located in Cornwall as you require. I have located their website and all the information you require can be found here -https://www.cornwallhousing.org.uk/find-a-home/

I hope this helps and please do leave positive feedback. If I can assist with anything else, please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ty. im just a little confused what you mean by; each scenario is dealt with on a means led basis (financial situation).
i do not work and am on medical benefits. so the council couldn't refuse on grounds i would be a financial burden ?

Hi there,

So yes, as you are on medical benefits the council cannot and will not refuse you - if anything, this will make you a priority on their list.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry , to clarify last message ; you said they can't discriminate but also that each scenario is dealt with on a means led basis. so does that mean i need to show independent income or something ? non reliance on them ?

Hi again,

No, so as you are in medical benefits they will already have record of this.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I receive medical benefit but my health has taken a sudden downturn and I anticipate needing constant care in a few years which is not the case now . i live alone and have no intervention or help beyond this benefit
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no one knows about my current health , i havent told anyone

Hi there,

I am really sorry to hear of your ill health - I really do hope your situation gets better over time. I do advise to proceed with your application to the Cornwall council as soon as possible. They will note your current situation re ill health and will prioritise you as you wish.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, thank you . goodbye