How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 5198
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

WHat legal rights do I have if my landlord has emptied a

This answer was rated:

WHat legal rights do I have if my landlord has emptied a cupboard i have in a kitchen of a shared house and thrown out all my kitchen equipment and food? One of the other housemates says he thought that I was leaving but every single plate, pan, knife and all my ambient and frozen food as well as food in the fridge has been thrown out. When asked about it he denied it. All the cupboards have been cleaned out but I will now have to replace all this equipment and food. My rent was paid in full and not due again for over a week. He has my phone number but did not call me to confirm if this rumour that he heard was true. What can I do? He has done this before when people have left without paying and confiscated bikes left at the property. Thanks

Hello, I will assist.

if you are the lawful tenant and landlord has done this then he is liable to replace it.

There may be a clause in your agreement about him even entering which he may have breached

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what action should I take? What’s my next step? Tell him this or check my standard rental agreement?

Check your agreement to see if and when he can enter, as that will assist.
in any event, if you are still legal tenant of the property and he has disposed of your goods and good, he is legally liable. You can claim against him for replacement value.

in a worst case matter, he could have committed criminal act of theft and criminal damage to your goods and items. Tell him this and see if he will settle with you.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that’s helpful. How do I go about claiming against him? Is that simply asking him or is it small claims court or something? I have prepared a schedule of all the missing items that I can remember. So I have a cost.

Your schedule is excellent.
in the first case, yes, as simple as speaking to him, give a copy of your schedule and see what they say.

if they will not pay, then yes a civil action.

Come back after speaking with him if you need to look at a civil action I can then advise what to do,

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

james bruce and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you