LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

I am a landlord, I am supposed to keep my tenant's deposit

I am a landlord, I am supposed to keep my tenant's deposit in the Deposit Protection scheme. I failed to put the deposit in to the deposit protection scheme till just before the tenant left.The tenant has since left the property and I have returned the full deposit to her.My question is: Could she still bring a county court case against me for failing to put the deposit in the Deposit Protection Scheme in a timely manner? Secondly, could the court be likely to fine me for not putting the deposit in the scheme in time - (supposed to be three times the deposit)...?
Hello,Thank you for your query.
The answer to your first question is: Yes, the Tenant may still bring a claim against you for failing to protect their deposit in an authorised scheme.Secondly, the Court will likely make an award to the Tenant for failing to protect the deposit. It would be at the Court’s discretion depending on the circumstances.
Will that be all this evening?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Appreciate the quick response. The deposit was paid back in full. What would you anticipate as the chances that the court would award the tenant?
I would say it is very likely that an award would be made in the circumstances.
Is there anything else I can clarify?
Good morning,Unless there is anything else I can clarify, I would be grateful for a 5 star rating at the top of your screen for helping you.It is important to leave a rating as this is how Experts are credited.Thank you :)

Hello again, I note that you have seen my last message.

Please don't forget to leave a rating! No rating means I get nothing for helping you.