Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

I have been mowing a verge which is attached to my property

I have been mowing a verge which is attached to my property but appears outside the boundary on my deeds, I understand that I can have it attached to my deeds, is that correct?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None, just a basic question at present
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: devon
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Good afternoon

It is possible to get what is called possessary title of land that you do not own where you have occupied it for 12 years.

There are a few conditions the main one being that you must have occupied the land to the exclusion of all others for that period and your occupation has gone legally unchallenged.

In addition, whilst there is some conflicting opinion, it is not considered possible to obtain land forming part of the highway which would include the verge.

If there are any further points kindly reply I will be happy to respond.

Otherwise please either click to accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael