How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7527
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

I have been mowing a verge which is attached to my property

This answer was rated:

I have been mowing a verge which is attached to my property but appears outside the boundary on my deeds, I understand that I can have it attached to my deeds, is that correct?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None, just a basic question at present
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: devon
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Good afternoon

It is possible to get what is called possessary title of land that you do not own where you have occupied it for 12 years.

There are a few conditions the main one being that you must have occupied the land to the exclusion of all others for that period and your occupation has gone legally unchallenged.

In addition, whilst there is some conflicting opinion, it is not considered possible to obtain land forming part of the highway which would include the verge.

If there are any further points kindly reply I will be happy to respond.

Otherwise please either click to accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes


Michael Holly and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you