How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 17326
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I wound need some assistance with an office rental deposit

This answer was rated:

Hello, I wound need some assistance with an office rental deposit that did not return
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: i sent various emails saying that the deposit shall be repaid
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Is an office located in 25 Eccleston Place, sw1w 9nf, London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the deposit amount is GBP 1,438

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

How much are you owed?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks Jamie. The amount is GBP 1,438

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 14 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks. 2 questions: is there a template for pre-action protocol letter of claim I can use? and 2: the process works the same for companies renting an office space (of which the deposit is not returned)?
Many thanks

You might be able to find one online.

But yes, the process is the same.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you.