JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My son has just opened a sweet shop and has had a problem

My son has just opened a sweet shop and has had a problem with rats on investigation there are signs that the landlord new of this problem before my son signed the lease but did not tell him. Can my son now walk away from this lease which is 3 years long as the shop is not fit for purchase or is the landlords duty to sort the rat problem out
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: Yes my son has signed a lease for 3 years and after a few months this rat problem has arose. In the upstairs flat there was electronic devices left plugged in to get rid of the rats
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: On the main street in Treorchy in the Rhondda Valley
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The building is a joint fronted building with florists sharing the business

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

There has been a case of misrepresentation here - had your Son known then he could not have signed.

Powers are available to Local Authorities under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 if the property is considered a threat to public health. Rat infestations are a serious matter so your Son should terminate the contract, demand his money back (if the landlord refuses, send a letter before action such as the attached, give them 30 days to pay and if they do not then start a claim for your losses at http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk). In the letter, threaten a report to the local council to report the landlord for this.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks very much for your response I will use this to get him out of the contract. Once again thank you very much. Could you now please terminate my trial contract with your company. Thank You.

Yes, I will ask customer services to do so for you, thanks