Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I’m currently in statutory period tenancy (month-to-month)

Hello, I’m currently in statutory period tenancy (month-to-month) as my agreement expired in February 2020. I’m advising the landlord that I want to leave with one month notice but my agreement says I need to give him 2 months notice in advance. What should I do? I need to leave with just one month notice but I don’t want to lose my deposit
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Reading
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

To terminate the periodic tenancy , you would have to give reasonable notice.

If the rent is paid on the monthly basis, then one month notice would be needed to terminate such tenancy.

2 months notice which was provided in your tenancy agreement is no longer effective , all the terms of that agreement are no longer effective and expired with the expiry date of that tenancy agreement

You would need only one month`s notice to terminate this monthly periodic tenancy

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

&

If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello, I’m gonna forward you what my agreement says regarding the notice before leaving. I do have a reason to leave as my landlord decided to place the building on the market to sell it and I don’t want to deal with viewings happening every day.

A lease is a legal interest in a property. If the ownership of the property changes, that interest is not destroyed. This means your tenancy will persist through and after the property sale. Tenants still benefit from all their tenancy rights as described by the law. None of them are limited, altered or restricted by the change of ownership.

As tenant have the quiet enjoyment of the property without any interference , you can refuse to let any viewers in , and your Landlord /agents can not force entry or enter without your consent.

That rent agreement has expired now , with that 2 month`s notice requirement as well is not effective anyomore

&

Does that answers your query?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
how are you saying, even if the contract says I have to give 2 months' notice ( it is specified that this also applies to ) in this case can I insist that only 1 month's notice is enough?

Please confirm the expiry date of that tenancy agreement ?

When you sign a tenancy agreement for a fixed term, the conditions of that tenancy agreements remain valid till the expiry date of that tenancy agreement.

You would have to give 2 months notice during the term of that tenancy agreement

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (TLVS5VL)

After 21st Feb 2020, your Landlord can not ask you to give 2 months notice

As now it is monthly periodic tenancy , tenant would have to give one month notice to terminate it.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Even if it specified on the agreement this 2 months notice applies to statutory periodic tenancy?

If your Landlord is saying otherwise, then he should better get legal advice.

Again for periodic tenancy, valid notice would be of one month if rent is paid monthly,

and if rent is paid every two weeks, then the required notice would be of 2 weeks.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That’s perfect!!!! Many many thanks, ***** ***** been so helpful! Can I show my landlord this conversation please?

Yes feel free to show him this answer or ask him to post his question here as well

&

If that answers your question,Please don`t forget to rate the answer before you leave JA today

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
How can I rate the answers? Thanks

You can rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen and press submit tab

Please let me know if you need further assistance in rating the service.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello Vinnet. I’m requesting you to help me again with the same topic as yesterday. I spoke to my landlord and he sent me this
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Please help me, what should i do?