james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My sister and I bought a property in joint names 10 years

My sister and I bought a property in joint names 10 years ago. We did not specify the ownership ratio ( I paid 80% of deposit and mortgage). We now need evidence of the percentage of ownership (to support my sister's pension claim) and would appreiate advice on how we can go about this. Although I
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No steps yet. The mortgage is paid off by the way.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Carlise, Cumbria UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are both in agreement about the 80/20 split. If it is too complicated my sister agreed the other option may be to transfer ownership into my name only.

Hello I will assist.

The process if very straight forward.

If you currently own the property as Joint tenants, then you need to severe the joint tenancy and instead own the property as tenants in common. This way you can then specify the 80/20 split.

All the forms you need to change the title deeds are on line at the land registry.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.