UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I rent a 2 bed flat and switched housemates so received a

I rent a 2 bed flat and switched housemates so received a new contract from the estate agents. They have made an error in stating the monthly rent as per week. This has been signed by all parties and contract started. The estate agents wish to amend this. I would like advice on my rights on this or whether I have to or it should be covered by their indemnity
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No I was asked by the landlord why the rent wasn't in full. I then emailed the contract to him and the estate agents highlighting the page. The estate agents called today to say they would be reissuing but no comment on the previous months rent.I said it needed to be discussed with her manager
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have lived at the property for 18months so there is a history of what the rent was previously. It has been signed by the agent on the behalf of the landlord. I was told it was a human error.

There is nothing to worry about in this case, if the rent has been incorrectly referred to as weekly rather than monthly, that may be amended or rectified easily by a new contract page being issued or simply by crossing out weekly and replacing with monthly and all parties initialling to this.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is current to my advantage as the rent is only 25percent.Am I obliged to change this? I would prefer not to change this and can they legally backdate it to the beginning of July?

If it is a mistake, they can ask you for the correct rent to be paid from when it should have been paid.

You are not obliged to change this but the law would be in their favour if it was a mistake.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars