Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have a tenant that is in contract until January next year.

Customer Question

Hi. I have a tenant that is in contract until January next year. However, having agreed to pay her £1900 to leave, she said she was going tomorrow. I have all the texts etc that says this. She also agreed the damage to the property too that would come out her deposit. Her new house has now fallen through and she says she isn't going. Where do I stand ?
JA: What steps has your tenant taken so far? Has she prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: With who?
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: West Yorkshire UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (Z2MG3V4)
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.
Did you formally vary the contract to say she would leave early in exchange for payment? The issue you jags in any event is that due to covid if she chooses to stay you can’t currently get rid of her, the notice period is currently 6 months for all notices served until 03 March 2021. Further, there is no way currently to obtain an eviction order currently as all evictions are suspended.
This is due to covid more than anything else unfortunately. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.