How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12231
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

If i give my daughter 150000 quid to hel her with her house.

Customer Question

if i give my daughter 150000 quid to hel her with her house. is it wise to register alien. how is it done?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: nonr sorry none
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: london
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
excuse the spelling mistakes! i am based in Germany
Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 days ago.

1. You essentially get the solicitor who is handling the purchase on the part of your daughter to register a charge over the property in your favour. This would be done as part of the conveyancing process when the purchase is taking place. If your daughter is agreeable to this course of action, you can use the same solicitor. However, if your daughter is not so keen on it, you will have to use your own solicitor and get the charge registered over the property when your daughter purchases. Be aware that part of the registration of a charge (in England you register a charge, not a lien) the interest must be entered in the Land Registry to protect you upon any sale of the property. So, for this reason, you need to ensure it is done properly. So, if there is any doubt, you should employ your own solicitor to ensure this is done.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 days ago.

2. If you require clarification, I will be happy to help further. Please use the buttons at the top of the screen to rate or accept the answer as otherwise your Expert will not get paid by the website despite answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you very much. she already owns the house. i just help her to repay a mortgage and to pay her x husband in the process of a divorce for his part of the property, so she owns it.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 days ago.

3. Then, what you should do is employ a solicitor to register the charge on the property for you by registering it in the Land Registry. Be aware that you will need your daughter to sign papers to say that she got the money as part of the registration process. The solicitor will remove the ex husband from the title Folio and register your charge on the property as well, as part of one process, whilst registering the Title Folio in your daughter's sole name.