How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2137
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My as recently been diagnoised with mental health and is

This answer was rated:

my as recently been diagnoised with mental health and is under safe guarded in nursing home I didn't get to do power of eternity, I am my mums representative under the dols safe guarded . I manage my mums bank account on line. the bank wont let me cancel any outstanding house insurance it as to be mum but with covid I am unable to see her. the bank says they need to speak to her to put my name on her account. is there any other way of doing this.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: yes I have file work of mums with policys life insurances I am her beneficiary on them. most of her letters come to me there are still some I need to change
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: in my local town I speak to the home all the time and speak to mum to
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
As your mother is now in the nursing home and may appear to lack ability to grant consent to grant you power of attorney, as there is no LPA in place, you could go through to the Court of Protection to be made a Deputy for your mother,

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
How do I that and how much would it cost me

You would need to make the application to the court and pay their fee, currently £365. There is financial help available if the person lacks means. I have attached a link which contains all the information, forms, fees etc that you would require.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Would I only need to do the one finance as I am my mums representative for wealth through dols

As she is already in the nursing home then yes, however, if you also want to have a say in her care officially, then you could still apply for both.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.
please accept answer by clicking on the 5 star rating.

james bruce and 4 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you