How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15436
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

I am a tenant in a newly constructed apartment building.

Customer Question

I am a tenant in a newly constructed apartment building.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Three and half weeks ago, my apartment was flooded by rain water from the roof terrace above.
JA: Where is the apartment located?
Customer: In Stanmore
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The builders own the building. They covered the rain water drain by mistake and the water found its way through the cooling to my apartment. The damage was extensive and the forced me to move out to another apartment in the same building... My question is , do I have right to be compensated?
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
through the ceiling
Expert:  INC Law replied 5 days ago.


Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you today.

Have you reported the incident to your insurer?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My personal things were not affected because I caught the flooding before any damage to my things happened.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They had to remove a piece of ceiling and moved me out.
I been out of my apartment for 3.5 weeks
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Expert:  INC Law replied 5 days ago.


I am of the opinion that you would be entitled to some form of compensation. How much exactly is difficult to quantify without ascertaining what losses you have suffered.

I would suggest that you instruct a local Solicotor to write to the freeholder claiming compensation for inconvenience and any costs you have incurred s a result of ot being able to use your flat.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks