How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2123
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

The neighbour at the rear of my gare, The neighbour at the

Customer Question

the neighbour at the rear of my gare
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The neighbour at the rear of my property claiming damages for falling acorns on his conservatory roof from my 100 plus year old oak tree. He also states that the tree has caused damage to his fence
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Poole Dorset
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: As far as I am aware you are not meant to cut the tree with out council permission
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.
Does branches of the tree over hang his property and conservator?

Does the tree have a TPO on it? If so then yes you will need to seek permission to trim the tree.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The branch do overhang his garden from before the house was built and as far as I am aware any tree of this type over a certain girth can only be taken down with council permission
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Yes you are correct. If the tree, especially an old oak tree would most likely be protected. Council permission would be needed to interfere with it. Either you or they can seek this permission. If granted, either you or they can then carry out the work as approved.

It would be an offence to do so if the tree is protected without permission.

Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.