F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have had an EICR carried out, it states unsatisfactory

Customer Question

Hi I have had an EICR carried out, it states unsatisfactory with 4 problems coded C2 and C1, They have noted the work to be carried out in 14 days......Therefor can my tenant move in and we have the work carried out within that time frame?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: YouI have had an EICR carried out, it states unsatisfactory with 4 problems coded C2 and C1, They have noted the work to be carried out in 14 days......Therefor can my tenant move in and we have the work carried out within that time frame?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Uxbridge UB8
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  F E Smith replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need sometime to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I havenot forgotten your question.

when was the tenant meant to move in?

and are you carrying out this work immediately?

what are the issues that it flagged up?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Today they as meant to collect keys.
Estate agent states because it says unsatisfactory they cannot release keys however we only have C2 not C1 and this allows 28 days for rectification. (From my understanding)The work needed to be done is;
Change all spotlight fittings
Change the fuse board (plastic box)
Add two new smoke alarmsThis work can be carried out this week.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 17 days ago.

Thank you. As you are aware, C1 and C2 are as bad as it gets and if someone is injured or killed, as a result of this, now that you have knowledge of it, then you could potentially be culpable.

If your tenant has not moved in, I advise caution.

You need to show the tenant the report and recommend that they do not move in. Tell them that it’s their decision as to whether they do or not but you require them to sign a disclaimer, that they are aware of the risks.

I will tell you now that signing the disclaimer does not absolve you of negligence for personal injury or death.

The agent refuses to release the keys (to be honest I think that’s a wise move) you cannot compel them to do so.

Looking at the work that is required, that’s one days work., 2 at the outside.

There is nothing to stop the tenant moving it but it’s a risk.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please note that my answer is based strictly on the information that you have given me. If you have not given me all the information, then my answer may be incomplete or wrong.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES