Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

On Universal Credit. Landlord receiving rent directly from

Customer Question

On Universal Credit.
Landlord receiving rent directly from UC Award, via Managed Payments To Landlord (MPTL) system.
I have rent arrears of circa £1200, but hoping to arrange repayment of that debt separately, at £20/mth.
Question:
If I notify UC of a change of addess to a new UC-accepting landlord (from England to Wales, incidentally), will my (recalculated) Husing Element be redirected to myself or, as agreed, directly to my new landlord?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

It sounds like you want to know whether the change of address changes the repayment agreement.

Sadly not - it's not a new claim, it is simply a change of address.

If it was a new claim, then yes it would.

Otherwise, it's simply a change in circumstances.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cos

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No; only the monthly rent amount (£413) is paid direct to the landlord - the arrears are separate and of course I will still owe those arrera when I chnage address. However, UC pay your rent i.e. the Housing Element for your current address, so, surely, even if the mechanism for paying my accruing rent is directly (MPTL) to the current landlord, if I change address (and landlord) then my UC Housing Element will be recalculated for my new address, and the monthly payments either redirected (i.e. still MPTL) to my new ladnlord or back to myself to pay over? The notification I received from UC, confirms that they are paying over only the monthly rent due; the arrears is excluded?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

I see, in that case, the arrears should be excluded.

So you don't need to worry about that

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My point is that it is the case that UC are still liable to pay my rent at a new address, irrespective if I have arrears from a previous address?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Correct.

Does that help?