Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

Our son and 5 other students were supposed to move into a

Our son and 5 other students were supposed to move into a student let on Saturday . However the the house was for from being habitable in our opinion. The contract stated the house would be cleaned to a professional standard ready to be occupied. This was not the case and not only was it dirty thre was a leak through the sealing and appliances and mattresses need replacing. We took lots of pictures which have been sent to the letting agent. The agent said the house had been inspected but they would get a cleaner in but do no other further work.
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: The students all signed a contract and have paid a deposit of £400 and the first month of £520 wach
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Exeter
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Would they be able to get out of this contract and get their money back. No one moved in on Saturday and the keys were returned to the agent
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. As contracts have been signed you will need the consent of the landlord to move out and get your money back. However, I would advise that you review the contract to see if there is an early termination clause which will allow you to move out. You should also check for a break clause and any clauses that speak about when the contract would be automatically terminated. Moreover, I would advise that you write the landlord a letter setting out your claim and state that they no longer wish to move in and would like their money back due to breach of contract. If you do not get the money back and the landlord denies the allegations you should report their actions to your local council who may contact them on your behalf. You can find your local council here: https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council
If the landlord does not let you get out of the contract you will need to take legal action. I would advise that you find a solicitor in your area to represent you. You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (you will be able to search by area of expertise and location). I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen and just answer will credit me for helping you today.