How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1814
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I am the owner of the flat I am living in for 13 years. I

This answer was rated:

I am the owner of the flat I am living in for 13 years. I have got ongoing issue with the landlord/tenants upstairs, above my flat. My ceiling is continuously wet as a result of the leak from their kitchen. I have got a studio flat and their kitchen is just above my bed. It makes it impossible to sleep.. the tenants are from Hell and the landlord is impossible to speak as he is sarcastic, selfish and irresponsible. He has got a short lease on his flat so is keen on pocketing the rent and not taking any responsibility. I complained to the Management Co (Mentor) and the Freeholder but they are not doing anything about it. Management co contacted with the insurance and they paid for damages, however, I keep renovating and painting and water keeps leaking. There is no end to this problem. I sent e-mails to the landlord upstairs, the management company and the Freeholder. The problem perisists.

Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation and I understand this to be a difficult situation. I would advise that you make a formal complaint to your local council who may contact them on your behalf and make the landlord fix the issue. You can find your local council here: You should write them a letter setting out your claim and attaching any evidence such as pictures. If after contacting the council the problem is not resolved you will need to take legal action and get a court order to force the landlord to fix the issue. If you take this course of action I would advise that you find a solicitor in your area to represent you here: You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your response, it has been helpful, I contacted the Council and I was told that someone will call me in 48 hours. Everything is delayed as a result of COVID 19
No problem. I would appreciate if you can please give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen. All the best.
Joy Nicholas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you