How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2062
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I agreed to the tenancy agreement by mistake yesterday and I

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I agreed to the tenancy agreement by mistake yesterday and I still didn’t Arrive to the Uk and the same day I canceled the agreement but they are telling me since I agreed to the tenancy agreement I am suppose to pay all the rent and I’m a student in university of Kent an international student so what can I do if I couldn’t pay what will happen?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No I didn’t sign anything just online tenancy agreement and I’m outside Uk now and I didn’t arrive to Uk
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Canterbury it’s student accommodation called Palamon court
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I didn’t pay what will happen? Can they take action against me

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

Did you agree and sign the online tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I agreed with the terms and conditions of the agreement online not knowing it’s an agreement to pay the full amount of rent

Did you fully read the tenancy agreement, and did it specify that the rent was due in advance before you signed the agreement?

james bruce and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This is the tenancy agreement
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What will they do if I don’t pay?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
As I might not be able to live there because I’m in Bahrain

I have tried several times to call, it may show as withheld number.

will call again now.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
973 33376758
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I didn’t get any miscall
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Should I call instead can you give me your contact number to call?

All calls go through a secure system by just answer to monitor calls and keep numbers private. I will continue calling.

in the meantime, I will also explain here.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I want to know can they take actions against me and what actions?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
As I don’t want to stay there so if I didn’t pay what will happen

Accepting the tenancy agreement online would be just the same as accepting and signing the agreement in person.

Unfortunately, the 14 day cooling off period that normally applies to online contracts and purchases, does not apply to tenancy agreement.

Therefore legally, you can be held liable for the tenancy agreement that you have entered into.

However, as you are outside of the country, it would be very difficult to enforce against you. The landlord, could start proceedings against you in court for the amount due.
They would first have to serve pre action protocol letters, then take the matter to court, then obtain a judgement against you, and then finally enforce that judgement. If they do this, you would end up with a CCJ against you which would flag up on credit agencies in the U.K.

Being an international student and living overseas, I would find it unusual if the landlord would spend their time pursuing you. It would be far quicker to just rent the property to a new tenant. But that does not mean they will not pursue you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What is CCJ?

Sorry, that is a County Court Judgement. That would be issued against you if the landlord takes the matter to court and is successful in obtaining a judgement against you.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.