How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 18441
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I was searching the internet for some free (initial) legal

This answer was rated:

Hi, I was searching the internet for some free (initial) legal advice regarding tenancy and came across this site. Seems a bit too good to be true so just having a browse to see how it works
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, not sure if I'd have a case even as no actual proof. Although future tranactions can be recorded. Basically where I live, the council pays the rent. The LL has effectively been manipulating us for years to give him cash in hand in addition to what the council pays him. They are cash transactions and no receipts so hard to prove although there is a pattern with bank statements etc
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London, UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not necessarily, only that he's very cheap and reluctant to do anything and when he does it takes ages to be complete. But again, no proof

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

It sounds like you want to know whether or not there is a claim against the Landlord.

If you have a tenancy agreement and it says that you pay £500 a month for example and the Council does this, the Landlord can not ask you for more.

This would be fraud and breach of contract. You can claim a refund of any overpayment sums

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not might I invite you to leave me a positive rating before you go, this ensures the site pays me for the time spent answering your question.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for that response, it was certainly helpful. Can you advise on how I can help myself by attaining proof or the best way to go about things. I was wandering if when I do hand over the cash, can I record the transaction secretly. There is no way he would give me any receipts or have things put in writing as he is very conniving.

If you had over cash, then the Landlord should give you a receipt.
You can also video the transaction.

That would certainly help

Does that assist?

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you