How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7382
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My landlord has identified a number of small cleaning issue

This answer was rated:

My landlord has identified a number of small cleaning issue in my post tenancy check out. Do I have the right to get access to address these pints/issues
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None so far, I have requested access to resolve the points he has raised
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London SW6
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There are some other non-cleaning points that need to be addressed as well. I have offered £150 to cover these but he has rejected the offer and i holding my whole deposit of £4875


If you feel the landlord is acting unreasonably, you should lodge a dispute with the protection scheme, if your deposit is protected.

The landlord should give you a chance to rectify any cleaning issues yourself.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Also there are some slight damage to the door of a kitchen cabinet that he wants me to pay for, I have offered £150 to fix the problem, but he has refused and will not say how much he wants. So he is holding my whole deposit of £4875

You should lodge a dispute as holding £4875 for such an issue appears excessive and unreasonable.He should allow you to get the damage fixed yourself if possible.

All the best

May I help further? If not, please leave a positive rating.

Thank you

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have a few more questions. How much time does the call cover?

I am unable to call but I can provide extra time here?

UKSolicitorJA and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Here are all my questions
- Can the landlord hold my deposit (during the depute) and take a new deposit from his new tenant, or does he have to wait until our dispute is closed
- Can the landlord allow a new tenant to move into the house before the dispute with me is settled?
- Do I have a legal right to access the property to rectify the issues identified in the check out report myself, or can the landlord block me from doing this?
- If he prevents me from entering the property to fix the issue in the check out report does that prejudice his claim for payment by me
- If an item is only slightly damaged (like a kitchen cabinet) can he charge me for a completely new unit, or can he only charge for a portion of the cost of repair/replacement?

-yes, he may do so as your deposit/dispute has nothing to do with the new tenant;


-no, you do not if the landlord does not allow you as the property is now let to a new tenant;

-yes, you may argue as such

-he may charge you a reasonable amount for repairing the damage, not for a new unit.

All the best

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank. My tenancy ended on the 7th Sept. If I have not received my deposit back by 27th Sept I would like to issue court proceedings against him. The court fee is only £185. Would you willing to help me draft the PoC and submit the papers to the court?

I am afraid I cannot do so as we are not permitted to act for customers of this site.

You may engage a high street solicitor to assist you.

All the best