SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

I bought a cottage 13 months ago. The building surveyor sent

I bought a cottage 13 months ago . The building surveyor sent me excerpts from the building report , that he said were of concern. He gave reasons for not being able to send the full report at the time, prior to settlement .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I recently discovered live woodworm infestation, lack of dampcourse and ventilation and widespread damp to the rear 50% of the cottage . These problems were easily discovered by the Rentokil guy on an assessment visit recently. I am in my 70 s, and am trying to remove the wall coverings and floor coverings , so that I can get rid of all diseased timber and burn it . I am a pensioner, so employing ‘help ‘ is reliant on pension day . do I have a right to lodge a complaint against the building surveyor ?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: can I expect recompense to help with the labour ?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am on Rathlin Island in Northern Ireland. i have now recently got the full report from the building surveyor . It doesn’t list the damp, the lack of dampcourse, the infestation etc

Hi there,You will most certainly be entitled to file a claim and pursue this.The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors state that that your complaint should be handled by a designated complaints manager or by a senior member of the firm used to conduct your Surrvey. These individuals should try to resolve your complaint directly but if this is not resolved the surveyor should refer it to an independent redress scheme, ideally run by an ombudsman.The Chartered Surveyor firm should let you know which ombudsman scheme they have forwarded your complaint to so that you can stay informed of its progress - generally it used to be the Surveyor Ombudsmen Service but it is now the Property Ombudsmen Service.Further information can be found here - https://www.tpos.co.ukI hope this helps and please do let me know if I can assist with anything else.Kind regards,
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks for your response. Are you speaking of the process as it relates to Northern Ireland ? If I understand you correctly, I think you are advising me to contact a senior member of the firm who conducted the survey ? Is that correct ?

Hi there,

Yes most certainly. You will need to discuss the matter at hand with the senior member of the firm to see if it can be dealt with in-house. Should this not be resolved to your satisfaction, you will then be in a position to take the case further.

Kind regards,

SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience: Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors