How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 761
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

I bought a cottage 13 months ago. The building surveyor sent

This answer was rated:

I bought a cottage 13 months ago . The building surveyor sent me excerpts from the building report , that he said were of concern. He gave reasons for not being able to send the full report at the time, prior to settlement .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I recently discovered live woodworm infestation, lack of dampcourse and ventilation and widespread damp to the rear 50% of the cottage . These problems were easily discovered by the Rentokil guy on an assessment visit recently. I am in my 70 s, and am trying to remove the wall coverings and floor coverings , so that I can get rid of all diseased timber and burn it . I am a pensioner, so employing ‘help ‘ is reliant on pension day . do I have a right to lodge a complaint against the building surveyor ?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: can I expect recompense to help with the labour ?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am on Rathlin Island in Northern Ireland. i have now recently got the full report from the building surveyor . It doesn’t list the damp, the lack of dampcourse, the infestation etc

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Hi there,You will most certainly be entitled to file a claim and pursue this.The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors state that that your complaint should be handled by a designated complaints manager or by a senior member of the firm used to conduct your Surrvey. These individuals should try to resolve your complaint directly but if this is not resolved the surveyor should refer it to an independent redress scheme, ideally run by an ombudsman.The Chartered Surveyor firm should let you know which ombudsman scheme they have forwarded your complaint to so that you can stay informed of its progress - generally it used to be the Surveyor Ombudsmen Service but it is now the Property Ombudsmen Service.Further information can be found here - hope this helps and please do let me know if I can assist with anything else.Kind regards,
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks for your response. Are you speaking of the process as it relates to Northern Ireland ? If I understand you correctly, I think you are advising me to contact a senior member of the firm who conducted the survey ? Is that correct ?

Hi there,

Yes most certainly. You will need to discuss the matter at hand with the senior member of the firm to see if it can be dealt with in-house. Should this not be resolved to your satisfaction, you will then be in a position to take the case further.

Kind regards,

SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 761
Experience: Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
SS Legal Advisor and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you