How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3097
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Some years ago I rented out my house to tenants, During that

This answer was rated:

Some years ago I rented out my house to tenants, During that period I obviously had to have an Annual Gas inspection and Certificate. I now live in the house myself with my niece, who pays no rent. Do I have to continue the Certificate? Thank you for your advice.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have received certificates each year which I have kept myself and not filed anywhere else.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Little Bradley, Suffolk
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hi, I'm Lea

You are not obligated to have a gas certificate/inspection annually if you live in the property yourself, and your niece is just your lodger/family member and there is no requirement to have one because she is living with you either.

That said, it is always a good idea to get the appliances checked regularly.

SASH_Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Many thanks

You're very welcome.