Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Have a query relating to landlord not providing adequate fix

Have a query relating to landlord not providing adequate fix to a damp issue. Issue did get addressed eventually but took 2 months and no compensation was provided.
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: nothing has been prepared seeking advice if its worth a claim
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: northern ireland
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: tenancy is up. They're looking fee's from the deposit which is being dealt with separately. Would this affect my claim?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

It sounds as if you have a case for Housing disrepair under S.11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not might I invite you to leave me a positive rating before you go, this ensures the site credits me for the time spent answering your question.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How do I get guidance of how much I could claim for? I know this is quite an open question but is their any set amount i can notify the landlord to?

You are likely to get £500 - £1500 a year for outstanding

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thank you

All the best. If I could invite you to give me a positive rating before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.