SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

My tenant stopped paying utilities. They owe me now with the

My tenant stopped paying utilities. They owe me now with the equivalent of the deposit. Can I evict them
JA: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: England No
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Utilities must be paid by the tenants, included in the terms.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing

Hi, I'm Lea

Is this a tenant in a self-contained property, or a lodger sharing facilities with you?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
self-contained property

Why are you paying the utilities? Are they in your name? If so, why is that when you state the utilities are supposed to be paid by the tenants as per the terms of the lease?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Utilities are on my name. Utilities have to be paid by the tenants above the base rent, that's in the terms of agreement.

What reason did they give for not paying the utilities?

Are they still paying the rent?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No reason. They are still paying the base rent.

In that case what you need to do is send them a pre-action letter stating how much they owe in utilities and giving them a deadline by which to pay it. Inform them that if the bills are not paid by that date you will not notify them further but will issue proceedings for a small claim.

You can then file for the return of your money by issuing a money claim at Money Claims Online (MCOL) or via an N1 claim form. You will be able to ask for the payment of the bills, plus the money you spent issuing the claim.

Remember that the tenants are entitled to see all the actual bills from the utility companies, so if they ask for evidence of the amounts owed, provide it to them.

You don't seem to have acknowledged my response, can I just check that you did in fact receive it?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hi, problem has been solved as they paid.

Well done.

All the best.