Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I am renting a property through an agent here in England. I

I am renting a property through an agent here in England.I have issues in the property that needs fixing for over 4weeks now.
Nothing has been done.
How do get this addressed?

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Are you and the property based in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
England

Thanks for the further information.

Under the Landlord and Tenants Act, the landlord/agent are under a duty to carry out repairs to the property. Further it is likly this obligation is within the contract too. Therefore failure to undertake the repairs in question can be deemed a breach of contract and contravention of the law.

Therefore i suggest you undertake the following steps.

However before i proceed do you understand what i have stated so far?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
i do, thanks

I suggest you write to the agency/landlord, reminding them of your rights under the law and contract. Inform them if they do not take steps to fix the issues you will file a complaint with the local council.

Please note the local council is independent and have a dept. that can step in to resolve this matter and in certain circumstances they have the power to fine the landlord.

I hope i have clarified the position, if not please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I live in Cambridge, will thaf be cambridge city council i will file the complaint with if need be?

Yes it will be Cambridge City Council.

I note you have reviewed the answer given.

If i have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please leave a positive rating for the assistance provided as this will help improve the service given in future.

Please note rating does not come at any extra costs.

Thanks and stay safe

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

Your welcome