Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My son purchased a new build as a trouble free home for him

my son purchased a new build as a trouble free home for him & his two young children following a stressful divorce. Within a few weeks, on returning from a short break away, he found a water leak due to faulty plumbing under the sink which had ruined some kitchen units and soaked the kitchen diner flooring. Two industrial dehumidifiers were required 24/7 for approx 2 weeks in order to dry out the floor, units will need to be replaced & new flooring. This has completely removed all the expectations and reasons he had to purchase a new build, and numerous other snags have also been involved. He stayed late at work in the evenings when he hadn't got the children, as the noise and hot dry atmosphere of the house was so oppressive. When the children were at the house they couldn't sleep with the noise and were very stressed. The builders are rectifying the damage, but are there any grounds for compensation for the stress and inconvenience suffered? Thank you. regards Judi
JA: What steps has your son taken so far? Has he prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None as yet
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Leics
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: are there any charges for this advice
Hi Judi, unfortunately stress and inconvenience is hard to quantify and could not usually be sued for therefore, really he can ask and they may offer some as goodwill but they are not obligated too I’m afraid.