Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

The agent from whom i am renting says that there are

The agent from whom i am renting says that there are problems with the windows in the house and that the landlord doesn't want to fix them so they will just move us all somewhere else. I do not want to move at all and i was wondering if they can actually send me to another location or evacuate me. Thank you.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

It sounds as if you have a property which has disrepair.

The agents can not make you move, you can stay in the property. You can also sue for compensation for the disrepair.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not might I invite you to leave me a positive rating before you go, this ensures the site credits me for the time spent answering your question.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
What happens if i refuse to move to another place? Will they be able to serve notice?

No they can’t. You are not in breach of your agreement.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
May i ask how much would it cost to have legal representation for such a case?

You won’t need it. But you can get a quote from a public access barrister at

www.clerksroomdirect.com

Does that help?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
thank you very much for your help.

Can I assist with anything else today?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
No, thank you.

All the best. If I could invite you to give me a positive rating before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.