Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

Problem with landlord, There was a fire in our flat(only one

Problem with landlord, There was a fire in our flat(only one room damage not extensive) 7 months ago landlord moved us to a Hotel then to a Flat our flat is still not ready and the place where we were staying asked us to move out yesterday we are now staying with friend there is 3 adults and 2 kids I have been trying to contact local authority without any luck We need some help
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: london
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm what is your question?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
We want to understand our rights and know If we can claim the cost of temporary accommodation and storage for our things
Hi, thank you for your message. Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. This depends on who is at fault. If the landlord is at fault then yes you should be able to claim for the cost of temporary accommodation and storage. I would advise that you continue to contact the council as they should provide you emergency housing. If you have home content insurance you should contact your insurer. You should also ask the landlord if he has insurance that can help cover your costs if he is not at fault.
Your local council normally has a duty to provide you with emergency accommodation if you're made homeless by fire. You should attend their offices if you cannot reach then by phone. I hope this helps if you can please give me a five star rating top right corner of your screen for answering your question today. I wish you all the best in this matter.