How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I signed a tenancy agreement for a new rental property 2

This answer was rated:

I signed a tenancy agreement for a new rental property 2 weeks ago and have gone as far as booking a removal company and spending nearly £10,000 on furniture (it is unfurnished). The landlord (who signed as well after reference checks) is now threatening not to proceed as I am self employed and he cannot get insurance against me not paying. What do I do?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No steps taken
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Bushey Heath - just outside London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat. So, please ignore any phone call request pop-up,they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Hi there,

If the rent agreement has been signed , then Landlord can not go back to change his mind, as both the parties are bound by the agreement.

A valid contract has been formed. Parties can enforce this contract now, if the other party tries to back out .

Your Landlord has to sort out his issue with the insurance , he can not say no to you now.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks for this, but what steps would I need to take to enforce this if need be?

Regarding the half rent from the tenant, speak with the tenants directly to pay your half in your bank acc.

Regarding your friend- send her a letter before claim to repay the missed payments.

Vineet S and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi, I think you have answered someone else's question and not mine

Oh apologies.

Once a tenancy agreement has been signed, both parties are bound.

Now you can make a court application for specific performance of the agreed contract by the Landlord and enforce him to do his contractual part.


You can ask your Landlord to compensate you for your loss, suffered due to the action or inaction of the Landlord.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

You should contact the landlord, explaining that this contract is binding and they must provide the home or face legal action for the breach of contract.

If you have any follow-up question, please let me know


If that answers your question, then please don`t forget to accept the answer

Thank you and all the best.