How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1448
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I moved into a house that was advertised as fully furnished,

Customer Question

Hi! I moved into a house that was advertised as fully furnished, and which the letting agent confirmed would be furnished at the time of viewing, upon which we signed the contract, which outlined the furniture we would be held liable for, including desks, chairs, wardrobe, dressers etc. Just before we moved into the flat, however, they changed their words and said the place would be 'somewhat furnished.' the place only had two beds and sofas, not even the items in the contract, and definitely not fully furnished.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Further, at the time of move in there was no gas. They did not even tell us the name of the supplier, distributor, much less provide us with a gas card or how to set up utilities. the flat did not have gas, heating, or hot water for four days. The flat, which has large windows on the ground floor, also was missing blinds on all of the rooms.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No, we haven't. We have communicated with the letting agency. They said they can't provide any compensation.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: One of their own agents on the emergency line over the weekend said this was 'breach of duty' and 'negligence.' i don't have this on record, unfortunately.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Vineet. Thank you! I just want reasonable compensation for 1. the time, energy, and costs incurred to us by lack of utilities at time of move-in; breach of privacy due to lack of blinds 2. we have had to furnish the place ourselves. other than the beds/sofas/1 desk, we have had to pick up the items that are outlined in the contract, such as dining table, chairs, wardrobe, dressers, etc. again, this was not in our budget.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 12 days ago.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this.

Firstly , you can make a written compliant via the internal complaint procedure of these letting agent company , for the inconveniences you had to face due to actions or inactions of these agents , and ask for compensation.

You can also report this agent to the Environmental health of your local council , office of trading standards and professional regulatory body these agents are member of.

If the matter is not resolved by any of these options, then you can initiate compensation claim against your Landlord for your inconveniences . Before you start a court claim for compensation, you must send a formal 'letter before action' to your landlord and their letting agent. This letter must set out the detail of your claim.

You would need to file form N208 for claiming the amount.

Click below web link for the relevant form and guidance-