james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My landlord has decided to sell the house but we have a

Customer Question

Hi there - my landlord has decided to sell the house but we have a break clause until Feb 2022. Could we be compensated?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Bracknell
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

The landlord can of course sell his property at any time. The good news for you as a tenant, is that this does not affect your tenancy agreement. The new owner would take ownership of the property with you as sitting tenants. The terms of your current tenancy agreement continue with the new owner until the agreements end date.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks James - they are offering to 'settle' and the estate agents mentioned they had paid out previous tenants
just wondered how that type of calculation would be made or is it just a good will gesture

There is no calculation. Because you do not have to move. Anything they offer is a gesture to try and gain your assistance.

I would suggest it should at least cover any moving costs you could incur, new agent fees, and possible the difference in rent for a period of time.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you James! That's been extremely helpful advice

Your welcome.