How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2267
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I purchased my house in February with an external garage

Customer Question

Hello, I purchased my house in February with an external garage with 2 parking spaces. I am now being told that the property has a garage and a driveway long enough to park a car in front of it.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No I have not filed any paperwork. I have contacted customer service and have asked for further information from them because my brother has a house similar to mine and he has a garage and 2 spaces to park his cars.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: in Sheffield, UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a few issues that have not been rectified through snagging and I feel like I am getting the runaround from this contractor
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 13 days ago.

Hello I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

I would be greatly appreciative if you could use the 5 stars to rate my advice once I have provided it you.

Thank you

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for the query. This is really a contactual matter. You have purchased a house based on what you were told about the layout. So if this is being changed or you are not being given what you were led to believe you were buying then you could potentially have a claim abasing them as this is what we call misrepresentation of a contract. However, if you are to raise a claim against them then I would strongly advise instructing a solicitor and I will provide you a useful link to find someone who is local to you. Prior to raising legal action, you will want to approach the builder and raise the issue officially with them and see this through to exhaustion. If you are not given a reasonable resolution then at that point you could look at raising legal action against them. However, you should always try to resolve matters formally yourself before you raise legal action as this will show you in a better light to the court. Ensure that you keep any evidence you have (such as the original house description etc.) and a copy of all correspondences you send and receive in relation to the matter as these will all go in your favour when building a claim if needed.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be recognised for my response by the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your response.