F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My housemate has moved out recently and booked a council

Customer Question

My housemate has moved out recently and booked a council bulky waste collection for his old furniture. They took most things but not his bed base, which is now outside my apartment block still. Since it is his furniture is he still responsible for getting it removed or will I be? If I am fined for it, would I have a legal basis to get the money from him?
JA: Where is your housemate? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, UK
JA: What steps has your housemate taken so far?
Customer: He booked the initial waste collection but is not replying to my messages about the bed bases not being collected.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have texts saved which outline the fact that it's his furniture and he was coming to remove it and had booked the collection
Expert:  F E Smith replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

do you know if he told them about the bed base?

and do you know where he is now?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I believe he told them about the bed, I think perhaps it was left because it was one man picking it up and could not lift it. I do have full contact info and address of the ex-housemate. I'm trying to resolve it with him but he is ignoring my messages now
Expert:  F E Smith replied 13 days ago.

I understand that council bulk collection can be very funny about taking beds which seems rather odd particularly in view of the fact that you can take them to the recycling centre and they will take them. My local one, they actually have a special container for mattresses.

You would need to check with the local authority recycling department as to whether they do take beds.

If they don’t, then your friend is responsible and if they do, then it’s the local authority who are responsible.

Unfortunately, because you are both on the tenancy, then you are both liable for any breaches although you would be entitled to recover any penalty or other costs from him, through the County Court in necessary.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

You don’t need to do it on this thread, just a new thread. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES