How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Madhu Pal Your Own Question
Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 467
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Madhu Pal is online now

I am selling my house and i have several issues that ring

Customer Question

I am selling my house and i have several issues that ring the wrong bells in my head (i am a very suspicious man, for good reason).
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: fermanagh
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i have too many issues it is hard to focus, but firstly , the alleged house sale is held up by land registry , because of an issue with solar panels on my garage roof. this has raised a case number ***** apparently needs to be cleared before the deeds can be put in my name and then my house sale can start the process of searches etc. is their anyway of expiditing this or getting my deed quicker?
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes,
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 8 days ago.

Good afternoon, it is confusing why the solar panels issue is with the land registry - are the solar panels owned by you as part of the property or were they leased?

When you say "before the deeds can be put in my name", who's name are the deeds currently in?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
leased 20 years, the original company went bust, they want proof of ownership i ass u me?
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 8 days ago.

Yes that is fair enough that they want proof of ownership, but this would not normally be via the land registry but usually confirmation from the company who own the solar panels.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i bought dec2019, from previous sellers mr burke
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i gather that the company is not responding to the mail request from mr burke's solicitors so ia m in stale mate. cannot sell cannot get mr burkes solicitor to do the job of sorting this out, i need help please its been going on 10 months
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 8 days ago.

When you bought the property your solicitor at the time should have dealt with this for you, was this issue bypassed by them?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
this is point i don't follow, when then i bought the property my solicitor applies to the land registry to have the name changed from mr burke to me. they requested me information ie about solar panels so this gets passed back to the solicitor for mr burke so this is the stale mate, my solicitor who i refer to as mr useless sits waiting for a preens from mr burkes solicitors mean time nothing gets done.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
can i sue my solicitor
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 8 days ago.

I would most definitely contact your solicitor from when you purchased because there seems to be some form of negligence somewhere.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is not a good answer in fact i could have told you that. The point is who is to blame ?
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 8 days ago.

It depends on what the solicitor says - a whole file review would need to be done. I cannot provide legal advice based on limited information. As it stands, it seems your solicitor is to blame because this should have been dealt with at the time, which is why my first advice is to contact him. Depending on whether they admit their negligence or provide a defence/reason for why they omitted to deal with this would depend on your next step.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i just spoke to land registry and they agree it is my solicitors fault and it will take to 7th Dec when if the registry do not have the query resolved they will return the application back to my solicitors ergo his fault. so can i take legal case against him and be guaranteed a win
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 8 days ago.

Well if it goes back to the solicitor they will need the opportunity to rectify their error - you can make a claim against negligence if you believe the costs you would be awarded would outweigh any legal fees involved in bringing the claim I cannot guarantee you would win because as mentioned a whole file review would need to be carried out and them given the chance to make right.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don't think you realise how thing s work over here ? my solicitors is fully aware of the query raised by the land registry , he even applied for an extension when they (the land registry) sent him letter to get the job expedited. So as i said earlier this has been going on since Dec 2019.
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 8 days ago.

In which case please raise a fresh new question for a litigation expert to pick up. Your question was initially based on issues surrounding selling the property, but you are now asking regarding litigation which are two separate areas of law.