MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109551472

If a shop lease owner dies (leased from council) can the

Customer Question

if a shop lease owner dies (leased from council) can the lease be passed on to his wife or others?
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Waltham Forest, London
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: None. The shop is closed. It is a charity shop. His wife can't run it on her own, but a group of close friends are interested to carry it on. We have not yet approached the council and told them he has passed away as he did not want the shop to revert to the council. Have not yet found a will.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't want to sign up for a subscription, so if that is the next step, I won't go ahead.
Expert:  MarianC replied 8 days ago.

Good evening

I hope you are well. I will assist with your question today. Please note this is not a chat service so replies may be intermittent.

Do you have a copy of the lease please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We don’t at this stage but can look for it.
Expert:  MarianC replied 7 days ago.

Morning

If you have a copy I can look into it properly for you as it does usually depend on the terms of the lease but generally speaking the lease would need to be assigned - the Council would need to be party to the Deed of Assignment and agree to it.

I hope this helps.