How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1902
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

My metered water supply runs under my neighbours lan, and as

Customer Question

My metered water supply runs under my neighbours lan, and as she has no property there and no individual water supply, she has sent a letter informing us that she intends to make a connection to our supply which is after our meter. the water board will not get involved as it is after the meter and therefore private pipe
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: bournemouth. our property and her land was once in common ownership
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we have received a letter from her solicitor and we have confirmed our objection, however we had a text message from her confirming she intends to make the connection on the 19th of October. she has easements of her own allowing her to bring her own services up the lane
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, I think that's about it
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome, my name is***** am very sorry you are experiencing this and I hope I can help you today. Can I confirm have you informed her about your concerns?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
it's all in the wuestion.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Again I am very sorry to hear about your situation and hope that my answer can help you today. I would advise that you write your neighbour a letter setting out your case and what you want from them. At the end of the letter state that if you do not hear back in 14 days you will take legal action. This is called a letter before action. Such a letter is written to warn the other side that if the matter is not resolved privately legal action will be taken. You can read more about letters before claim here: The page also provides a sample letter. This example is in relation to faulty goods so you can make it apply to your specific case.

You can also instruct a solicitor to write the letter before action on your behalf.

If the matter is still not resolved you will need to get an injunction from the courts preventing her actions. I would advise that you find a solicitor to represent you.

You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments. Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website: You can also find other means of getting help with legal fees using this link:

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
please cancel my subscription.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Please contact customer services directly and they will cancel this for you. Best wishes.