Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My son rents a room he’s a student in a shored occupants

Customer Question

My son rents a room he’s a student in a shored occupants house the room is tiny so never stayed in it or never will but land lord wants the money it is under 70sq ft and the council agree it’s not fit for porpoise but because the hmo was issued in June 2018 this does not apply. It’s not fit for porpoise and will not get a licence on renewel but my son is expected to stay in it because of this rule
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: we have signed a contract but never seen property till move in day we have emailed the agents to say this but they say pay or find someone else
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Liverpool
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We have had liverpool council in and they agree the rooms are to small for bedrooms but the hmo was done before the new rules come in in 1/10/18 this does not seem fair I was told if it was small before this time they needed to be able to use another room for storage ect
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
You haven’t forgot about me have you ?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Well this was a waste of money
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 10 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, sorry the delay. I appreciate this is important so I am looking to assist you as quickly as possible. In terms of the situation if a contract has been agreed to rent the room then it is legally binding and as such payments do need to be paid under the contract. The fact that the property and by extension the room was not viewed before signing the contract was unfortunately a risk you took that it might not be what you expected.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I know this but the council has said the room is not fit for purpose it’s to small for a bedroom but because the licence is before they brought in the law they won’t adjust the hmo till it up for renew
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No thanks I won’t call £44

I understand what you are saying but if they in fact have a valid licence then the contract is still valid.