How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 18592
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I’ve got a question regarding damaged property (my boot)

Customer Question

Hi there. I’ve got a question regarding damaged property (my boot) whilst the property was decorated by landlady’s decorator. I left the boots out. He splashed paint on them. She is saying it’s my fault for leaving my boots out and therefore she isn’t responsible. To be honest, I didn’t realise that they were going to come to paint that day - I thought they were due to do other repairs first as the written communication didn’t specify. The boots are worth £150 and all I’m asking is that whoever damaged them will try to bring them back to life. Have I got a case here? Thank you.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I asked i disputed the situation as per the above
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: West Yorkshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for the generic response about claims. My follow up question is: will my specific challenge stand a chance in court?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Yes, I think you have a claim.

They were negligent. It was foreseeable.

As such you have a claim

Does that assist?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.