Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I have a lodger contract and my housemates want to kick me

Customer Question

I have a lodger contract and my housemates want to kick me out of the house because they don’t like me. I always clean and pay the rent in time. What are my rights?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: It’s a converted warehouse in Fish island (peanut factory), one of the housemates is also managing the place and I pay the rent directly to him so I have no contact with the actual owner
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: It’s a lodger contract that ends on 24/11/2020. No issues, I’m the one who keeps clean and tidy, I also have done some work in the room to make it better, they are a group of friends and want me out because I don’t match their vibe or they want someone else to have my room.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think it’s all thanks
Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. Do you have your lodger agreement in writing?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do
Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

Kindly attach it here.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can’t afford to pay £44 now
Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I thought I can get advice with the £5 I paid
Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

Please ignore any phone call request pop-up,they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

Online advice is £5, refer to your terms of membership.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

Kindly attach your Lodger's agreement here.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

You have to upload it from your laptop.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Agreement 1
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
2
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
3
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
4
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
5
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He also wrote a letter which is false
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Because it’s not my choice to move, they are kicking me out
Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

Hi there,

If you are lodger then you are ‘excluded occupier’, your Landlord would only have to give ‘reasonable notice’ to you to vacate, which usually means the length of the rental payment period. If the fixed term of your Lodger agreement is expiring, then you would have to speak to the Landlord for renewing the agreement for a further term.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

Unfortunately lodgers do not have protection from illegal evictions, and would need a valid notice for vacating.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 7 days ago.

If you want to renew your agreement , then you would have to speak with the Landlord , if this can be mutually agreed.