F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

We are Building Owners, legally bound under a Party Wall

Customer Question

We are Building Owners, legally bound under a Party Wall Award to place cleared funds into an escrow account for an Adjoining Owner (AO). This is to satisfy a request for Security for Expenses that the AO has made. We need to provide the AO’s email address to the escrow company, to enable the account to be set up. The Adjoining Owner has informed us that he does not consent to us sharing his personal information with any third party and threatened that to do so would breach his confidentiality under GDPR. Are we permitted to share the information in order to satisfy our legal obligation?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have tried to setup an escrow account to satisfy a Party Wall Award obligation.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok to wait
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need sometime to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

I will need to know all the background to your question before i can answer fully - thanks

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 days ago.

Don’t no one you are bothering with an escrow Company when a solicitor or accountant or surveyor could hold the money and the client account.

The other owner cannot stop you sharing information with a solicitor.

However if you want to use someone else, they don’t actually need to the details.

If there is an agreement between the 2 of you, and this (rather awkward in my opinion) next-door neighbour doesn’t want his name and address (he may be ashamed have his actions!) Bandied around, there is no reason to give them to the escrow company.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

You don’t need to do it on this thread, just a new thread. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Many thanks - this is very helpful.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 days ago.

No problem at all. I am really glad to help. Come back to me at any time if anything else needs clarification. Kind regards