How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrew Your Own Question
Andrew, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 91
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Andrew is online now

My mother has only 71 years left on her lease. She is part

This answer was rated:

my mother has only 71 years left on her lease. She is part of the freehold (2 other flats involved). I have already confirmed with one of the two owner's who is also happy to have her lease extended at the same time as mum. It maybe that the 3rd freeholder may also take the opportunity to do the same. What is the procedure for a deed of variation?

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Please continue your search. I will wait.

Hi, it would be sensible for the 3rd Leaseholder to join in and agree as it ill benefit them to have their Lease extended. Once the third party is on board, it is just a case of you all instructing a local Conveyancing Solicitor to prepare the Lease extension Deed (you can agree to have the Lease extended for whatever term you wish but it would be normal to have it extended for an additional 90 years or you can even extend by an additional 999 years).

Your Solicitor will prepare 3 Lease extensions in the same format and once signed by you in your capacity as Freeholders and Tenant, the Deeds will need to be registered at the Land Registry. As all 3 Lease extensions will be in the same format, your Solicitor shouldn't charge as much as if he was doing 3 separate Lease extensions for 3 different clients.

You are best to phone 2 or 3 local Solicitors to get a quote before you decide which Solicitor to instruct.

I trust this helps and sets out the general legal position.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks. Would a deed of variation extending the lease do?

Hi, the document would normally be called a Lease extension Deed as opposed to a Deed of Variation.

Kind Regards


Andrew, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 91
Experience: LLB (Hons)
Andrew and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Excellent. Many thanks.