Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have 2 letting agents. One charges 11% & the other 7%

Customer Question

I have 2 letting agents. One charges 11% & the other 7% letting fee.
JA: What steps have the agents taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: theyve both offer me the same tenant. The more expensive one claim he introduced them to the property & the other agent told them he’ll secure it for a lower rent. Naturally I want to go with cheaper agent but dearer one has threatened me that I’ll have to pay 2 letting fees. What to do ?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: london
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 days ago.

This really depends. If the higher fee one first showed the tenant around and then you asked them to go to the cheaper agent that is a problem.

But if the tenant chose to go to the cheaper agent it is not hour problem. It is only an issue If you asked the tenant go to the cheaper agent.

But if they both offered the same tenant without any influence at all from you, then no fee is payable to the more expensive agent.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The cheaper one said that one partner approached them & one approached the other agent, but the dear big agent said he will pass matter on to his legal dept. I think smaller agent is now scared
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 days ago.

If you didn’t influence its a dispute between the agents and not you. Let them sort it out. If you didn’t influence you can only be liable for one fee.

Does that assist?